Position: Firmware / Embedded Systems Engineer (Software)
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Minimum experience: 4+ years relevant work experience
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering (with programming experience), Mechanical Engineering (with programming experience)
Left Hand Robotics designs and assembles robots that tackle difficult, outdoor tasks. Our first offering is an autonomous snow clearing and de-icing robot that is meant to clear walkways and other pathways that are normally only reachable by shovel or small, manually controlled snow removal equipment. But this is only the beginning.
We look to employ a diverse and highly talented team. We are looking for innovators and risk takers – we are exploring a new frontier and we want people who are excited to take the journey with us. We are small but growing, so everything you do will have a real impact on the company. We believe we have an array of interesting and challenging projects ready for those who want to challenge themselves. If you are excited about robots and to work with other creative, fun, and passionate people, talk to us.
About the Job
Our robots are unique: they autonomously operate outside in harsh conditions (snow, cold, wind, and dark). Yet they must reliably perform their snow clearing job otherwise people won’t be able to walk or ride where they need to go. When it comes to snow clearing, failure is not an option.
Our robots follow pre-computed paths and rely on GPS and dead reckoning to ensure they stay on the path. The robots deploy a number of sensors to ensure that obstacles are avoided. In addition, our robots are constantly connected to our Robot Operations Center in the cloud where real-time status information is conveyed and stored so that our customers can monitor their robots in the field.
In this position, you will be responsible for designing and implementing embedded software vital to the operation and control of the robot. This includes low level driver development and real time embedded system architecture.
Required Skills and Experience:
- 4+ years software development in Ubuntu (Linux), Linux Kernel, and embedded systems environment
- Fluent in the C/C++ language
- Experience in embedded environment debugging
- Device driver development on microcontrollers and processors running linux based OS
- Understanding of system level architecture, such as interconnects, memory hierarchy, interrupts, and memory-mapped IO
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience collaborating with others: express new ideas and happily listen to others
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
- Experience in Java and Python languages
- Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience with GPS based navigation
- Experience with NVidia Jetson TX1/TX2 platforms
- Experience with USB, PCIe, and MIPI interfaces
- Ability to read schematics and understand electronic circuits
Left Hand Robotics (LHR) is committed to supporting a culture of diversity across the organization. LHR provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LHR complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Left Hand Robotics expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, ancestry, marital status, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LHR’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.